Sunday, July 24, 2011

Delightful Digits

Is it just me, or has 2011 been the craziest year for nail polish trends thus far?  Maybe I’ve just never paid enough attention to this market, since I used to be perfectly happy bearing my natural nails for the most part.  Over the past few years, however, I’ve somehow managed to be sucked into the world of OPI, China Glaze, NARS and of course the occasional Wet&Wild polishes.  Clearly, I do not discriminate when it comes to the brands I’ll venture to try, no matter the product.  I can’t help it that I get sort of excited to  deliver a shopping bag to one of my customers only to hear them say, “Wow, I really love your nail polish!”   
I’m one of those crazy girls that will try any trend at least once, so the color of my phalanges tends to change drastically over the course of the week.  And make no mistake, I’m thrifty, and hate paying for something I can do myself.   No, you won’t see me rocking acrylic (acrylic = anti-trend) any time soon, but I do a pretty darn good job with my manis (I can’t lead you astray, I do get a few pedicures during the summer-  It’s a must when you wear 5 inch platforms to work some days).  Anyway, here’s a list of my top picks of the nail trends that are hot right now.  And yes, I’ve tried them all.
Image Photographed by Eddie Donlin of StudioD

1. Rainbow Sorbet.  Try a fruity shade in a soft, creamy hue.  Sorbet colors are whimsical and girly, but come in a ton of fun hues this summer, from yellows and blues, to feminine pinks and orange tones.  If you’re adventurous, try mixing a variety of  colors on your nails, creating a rainbow look!  I like Beauty Without Cruelty’s “Mermaid”, Essie’s “Mod Square, and “Scented Gum Drop” and “Electric 305” by Revlon.

image courtesy of http://pamperedandpolished.co.uk
2. Naked Girl.  Super sophisticated and trendy right now, barely there color creates a polished look that is timeless and chic.  The look can be personalized by selecting a shade from a color palate you love.  There are natural looking polishes available in peaches, whites, pinks, and tan shades.  I love this trend because it’s so versatile, and goes with any style.  Perfect for business, date night, or going to visit grandma.  You look like a lady. Try “Otherwise Engaged” by OPI or Wet n Wild’s “Sugar Coat” or “Otherwise Engaged”.

Image courtesy of http://www.splendora.com
3. Grey City.  This has been one of my favorite polish colors on my nails since I spotted Heidi Klum rocking a slate grey shade on Project Runway late last summer.  Needless to say, I immediately took some old white and black polished and concocted my own customized look.  Now grey tones are popping up in many of the mainstream brands, and are a perfect alternative to the black trend that has been here for what seems like forever.  Great transition color from summer to fall and all winter long!  Try Rimmel Lasting Finish Nail Polish in “Steel Grey”.
4. Bright Lights.  
Image courtesy of http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com
Add a little 80s flair to your style and paint your nails in an obnoxious shade of yellow.  Or pink. Or green. I guarantee you’ll get a flashback of rolled up acid wash jeans, scrunched aerobic socks and side pony tails.  Milani makes a sweet line of Neon Nail Lacquer in a ton of rad shades.  Try Milani’s “Totally 80’s” or “Techno Red”.  While it may not be a high-end polish, it’s always on sale at CVS and it’s made in the USA, yay!
5. Strong Metallics.  Love this.  If you are a fan of the gray, but want to add a little shimmer, try a pewter color on for size.  I’m obsessed with “Black Diamond” by China Glaze.  Golds are also huge right now.  They add some light to a summer wardrobe and can also be worn all fall and winter long.  Check out Milani Nail Lacquer’s “Gold Dust”.
6. Blue Claws.  I wear shades of blue on my nails throughout the spring and summer months that are lighter in value than a true royal  hue.  I love “No Room for the Blues” and “Teal the Cows Come Home”, both by OPI.  For the winter months, switch to a darker shade such Revlon’s “Not So Blueberry” or “Russian Navy” by OPI.  Navy is also another color that can be a great black substitute.  
7. You Crack Me Up.  Something new this season is top coats that have different effects such as a shatter or crackle look.  I’ve used actual crackle paint in the past on furniture, so it’s only natural that I would have to try this look as well.  I recommend painting your nails a light pink or peach color and trying OPI’s Black or Silver Shatter on top.  Fun look, but not for everyday polish. 
8. Glitterati Girl.  What can I say, I like glitter.   
Image courtesy of http://www.thelooksforless.com
Lucky for me, glitzy things are back in terms of  beauty, and your nails should be no different.  If pink nails are your thing, Milani’s “Disco Lights” is super a super chic shade that will make you want to hold a champagne flute, immediately after application.  Milani also makes a 3D Holographic line and a Jewel FX line both worth trying. 

Image provided by http://www.musingsfrommanhattan.com

9. Nutty Shapes.  Agh, thank you Lady Gaga!  No, I don’t intend to grow animal claws any time soon, but I do sort of love the new “almond” shape that’s becoming popular as of late.  I grew sick of square nails long ago, and am happy to see a different look gain some stance.  File your natural nails into a harsh rounded tip that almost creates a point.  Your nails should resemble the shape of an almond.  Try it out! 




Follow Good+Pretty on twitter @goodnpretty

No comments:

Post a Comment