Sunday, August 28, 2011

Thrifty Lady


We’ve all been embarrassed by our mothers at one point or another.  When I was growing up, thrift shopping wasn’t nearly as chic as it has become today, and my mother  was relentless.  She used to drag me to every yard sale within a 15 mile radius, maybe farther, depending on how many homes were involved and the type of merchandise that was offered.  I remember being embarrassed for years, wondering why my mother was torturing me with my classmate’s used artwork, furniture, and books.  
Well, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree they say, and I have already taken my two year old son “dumpster diving” with me on more than one occasion.  No, I don’t seriously pull things from the dumpster (unless it was something really awesome).  I’m one thrifty lady, and I never know where I might find my next bargain.  Sometimes I pull over at a yard sale if something shiny catches my eye, and I frequently hit up the Salvation Army to see what little gem maybe hiding amongst the hangers.
My favorite place to be a savvy shopper, however, is at local resale boutiques and consignment shops.  There are quite a few in our area, and if you play your cards right, you can essentially shop them for free.  Since these shops specialize in gently used designer duds, you don’t have the hassle of removing stains and disinfecting anything.  They take care of that step for you, and it’s almost like treasure hunting!  You really never know what you will find.  The best piece of advice I can give you is to set up an appointment to bring in your unwanted clothes from last season.  Remember all of those skinny jeans from the past few years?  Well if you read my fall denim lineup, you know it’s goodbye skinnies, hello disco pants.  Take a few pairs in for some store credit, and you can walk out with a brand new outfit!  
I visited a few resale shops on my day off a few weeks ago, in search for the area’s standouts.  Two really hit the target on what they had to offer:
  1. B Green Loft, 56 East Main Street, Bloomsburg, PA.  570.784.5153.  Clean, inviting, and beautifully designed, B Green Loft specializes in gently worn fashions for sizes 0-24 & a small selection of maternity.  They stand out from the crowd because of the selection of true designer merchandise.  While you can find everything from Hollister to H&M here, there is typically a good selection of high end merchandise to balance it out.  This shop is suitable for teens, through mature adults, as there is a very wide selection of merchandise, and a massive denim collection.  Owner Missy Crawford is also a great asset to the shop and is always willing to help!  Check em out on Facebook.
  2. Repeat After Me, 518 Walnut Street, Danville, PA. 570.271.1040.  Let’s face it, as parents, we typically spend as much or more on our children’s wardrobes than on our own.  What’s worse, is that their clothes are 1/8 of the size of ours and that the kids  outgrow them in 3 weeks.  Repeat After Me specializes in name brand children’s and teen clothing.  The shop might be tiny, but it is maxed out with more Gymboree and Children’s Place you can imagine, mixed with some higher end products as well.  Repeat After Me buying days are Wednesdays and Saturdays or by appointment.  When I stopped in, I ended up walking out with a pair of $195 Diesel jeans for $15.  Sweet.  Look them up on Facebook for all of the details!

While it takes many years of practice and a crazy shopaholic mother to become as successful as I am at thrifting, you can get a good start by checking out these two great boutiques in our area.  For more fashion tips and tricks, follow me on twitter @goodnpretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment